William Horsley is an independent journalist and former BBC foreign correspondent who writes on international affairs, and is working on several policy initiatives to safeguard freedom of expression.
He is the UK chairman and the Media Freedom Representative of the Association of European Journalists, an independent network active in European 25 countries. He works closely with the Council of Europe’s programmes in support of the European Convention on Human Rights.
He is the International Director of the Centre for Freedom of the Media at the University of Sheffield and an Hon. Visiting Fellow at the Centre for Law, Justice and Journalism at City University London. Currently he is heading the Initiative on Impunity and the Rule of Law, a joint project of those two universities aimed at strengthening the protection of journalists against violence, intimidation and censorship in all regions of the world, in cooperation with UNESCO.
- Centre for Freedom of the Media, University of Sheffield, International Director
- William Horsley at Journalisted
- Association of European Journalists, AEJ Media Freedom Representative
- UK Section of Association of European Journalists
- BBC College of Journalism
Publications William Horsley has written for:-
- BBC News website
- BBC College of Journalism website
- The Economist
- The Listener
- Open Democracy website – ourbeeb pages
- The Sunday Telegraph